Art21 is a celebrated global leader in presenting thought-provoking and sophisticated content about contemporary art, and the go-to place to learn first-hand from the artists of our time. A nonprofit organization, Art21’s mission is to inspire a more creative world through the works and words of contemporary artists.
In addition to its Peabody Award-winning PBS television series Art in the Twenty-First Century, Art21 produces the online film series New York Close Up and Extended Play; and special artist projects including the Peabody Award-winning feature William Kentridge: Anything Is Possible. Art21 also creates educational resources and professional development programs; an online publication featuring guest contributors; and a comprehensive website at Art21.org. Art21 also produces a number of public programs annually that connect audiences to artists and the artistic process.
For this screening, Art21 has curated a selection of their films around the theme “California Girls.” Historically regarded as a land of possibility and opportunity, California is known for some of the U.S.’s most stunning landscapes and is a breeding ground creative thinkers. This selection of films is dedicated to women artists, including Diana Thater, Tala Madani, Liz Larner, and Andrea Zittel, who come from and create within the nation’s most populous state.
1:10:29:09 total runtime
1. Extended Play: “Wagon Station Encampment,” Andrea Zittel
2. Extended Play: “Delphine,” Diana Thater
3. New York Close Up: Shana Moulton & Nick Hallett Stage An Opera
4. Art in the Twenty-First Century: Tala Madani in “Los Angeles”
5. New York Close Up: Mika Tajima Wants to Hire Contortionists
6. Art in the Twenty-First Century: Catherine Opie in “Change”
7. Extended Play: Empathy, Catherine Sullivan
8. Extended Play: Distorting Form with Color, Liz Larner
9. Art in the Twenty-First Century: Barry McGee & Margaret Kilgallen in “Place”
Location: The Theater at Untitled, San Francisco at the Palace of Fine Arts.
RSVP Encouraged | Limited Space
RSVP to email@example.com